Monday, May 30, 2011

Number 1 on Life List: Comrades. Check!

The race is done.  It was a nearly unbelievable experience. I say nearly unbelievable because it was quite painful, so there was no need for me to pinch myself.  But honestly, without brilliant memory assist of pain, I might question my recall.

The start was dark and crowded.  It was slightly chilly, but perfect.  There were so many people but each were corralled by qualifying times so it was pretty well organized.  In my coral I met up with one of the gents we met for lunch at the Durban CC day prior.  I started with his running club.  In South Africa, runners belong to running clubs and they have uniforms. 

The South African National Anthem was sung followed my Shosholoza, a traditional African folk song. google Shosholoza- Lady Blacksmith Mambazo sings it.  Chariots of Fire was played and a rooster crowed. 3 times, I think.  The gun was fired we were off! The course was beautiful, there were several times running up a long - (some nearly a mile, I think) unnamed hill that I had full views of rolling green hills or of the city the entire climb.  I actually have a few suggestions for hill names…  As I ran, I started hurting earlier than I thought, but my head and lungs felt great.  I never thought "I can't finish" and I never thought “why am I doing this?” So I call it a great run.

Some of you were following me online which is so cool.  Knowing you were all reading my blog was a hand helping push me along. While I knew you would all be supportive had I not finished, that was not the story I wanted to tell! So again, thank you.

Jimmy, Hal and Arthur actually saw me finish on the computer- so cool! Nellica and Johan saw me on South African TV!  I will have more posts on the race later as I process highlights, but I wanted to let you know I was thinking of you all and that I finished in 10 hours and 8 minutes. Woo hoo!
 Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats AK !!! Enjoy the rest of your trip, and come home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to find out your time! I was at church with Harry beside me, checking on my blackberry phone using your race number. I felt like a gambler checking in on stats. Harry was nudging me and telling me to put it away. When I found out I was excited and showed Harry, "Look! She's finished!" Then he quickly snatched it away. Paula says it was ok since I'd said some prayers for you, I was in the good! :0) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, looked up the song you mentioned, on the prowl for African folk songs that our grads (thinking of your youngest cutie) may be able to dance to next year and found this info...

    Zulu word Shosholoza means go forward or make way for the next man, and is also reminiscent of the sound made by the steam train (stimela) described in the song

    ReplyDelete